Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Dempsey's are back in Mineral Creek!


Mornings at mine camp are usually short and hurried.  The crew wakes, drinks coffee, eats breakfast, and races off to their duties.  Lunchtime is similar as each worker takes turns breaking for twenty or so minutes and goes to their respective camper for something warm and filling to fight against the rain and cold.  And dinner is a welcome end-of-the-day treat.  It is what is discussed between the “camp cook crew” (Rita, Peggy, and I) from morning until serving time.  We decide who is cooking the main dish, what protein needs to be taken out of the freezer to thaw, who is making a side dish, which camper to dine in, and if there should be the rare, sugary dessert.

Last night, for instance, we all pitched in a little something.  Rita grilled some pesto and Cajun salmon filets, while I took care of the salad, and Aunt Peggy made some buttery wild rice.  We didn’t make a dessert, which was noticed by one of our crew members, Doctor Dan.  So to make up for last night’s missing sweet treat, Peggy is making baklava tonight.

Also tonight, Dave and I are taking Rita and Dani up on a babysitting offer and going into to town for a dinner-date.  Dave proposed this idea to me yesterday, much to my welcome surprise, and today he added that we should take the side-by-side four-wheeler, wear our xtra tuffs and some clothes that we can muddy on the wet, seven-mile drive.  Then he said I could bring my laptop and post a blog entry if we can find some wi-fi at the Fat Mermaid where we will be eating pizza and cheeseburgers. 

Ah, the romance.  A date night that involves mud, xtra-tuffs, blogging, and excessive carbohydrates is right up my alley!  The man knows how to speak to my heart.  So, of course, I eagerly agreed and we are meeting at the four-wheeler at three o’clock sharp.

And now I am frantically writing this entry to update you all, my favorite people, on the goings-on of mine camp.  I know I am the worst at actually keeping this blog up to date and for that, once again, I apologize.  But this year I would like to play the pregnancy card and blame my fluctuating hormones for my absent-mindedness and lack of motivation, or, as my doc’s mid-wife calls it, my “placental-brain-drain.” 

Despite my blogging absence, I am happy to report that this mining season, so far, has given us few problems and minimal bumps and bruises.  Knock on wood.

We started in May as Dave and Dan worked hard at trommel maintenance and sluice box extensions.  They decided that the sluice needed about 40 more square feet in order to ensure that we weren't losing any gold off the end of it.  This required a lot of craftsmanship and welding, two things that I have an embarrassing lack of knowledge about, but that Doctor Dan is pretty much superhuman with.  There were two days of this, followed by a trip home to Anchorage for some R and R, and our final pack job.

The pack job always puts me in a tizzy even though it shouldn't.  For the most part, it can be approached as an extended camping trip.  But, since I have a kiddo and I am pregnant, and since we are seasoned miners now, I tend to approach it as if I were doomsday prepping.  

First, there is the stuff you need like food and clothing.  Then there is the stuff that is just there for comfort and pleasure like books, movies, coffee, and beer. And, finally, there is all the stuff to bring for all of those "what if" scenarios.  What if someone cuts himself or herself on the job?  Throw in the first aid kit.  What if Dylan is plagued with the stomach flu again?  Throw in those extra sheets, blankets, and towels I was debating about.  And what if, just what if, the road collapses again??  Throw in the cell phone booster so we might have a chance to call for help.

And there is a completely different packing experience being had by Dave.  He spends his hours searching Craigslist for needed gear and supplies, making trips to NC Machinery and Jackovich for equipment parts, and cleaning out our garage of tools and loading everything into our truck and trailer.  These things take days, even weeks, to weed through and organize, as it is like I said… doomsday prepping.  You just never know what might happen or what you might need.

Even with all of that preparation, you are never really ready.  I must admit, all romance aside, that our trip to town tonight also has another agenda.  We have a grocery list and a parts list to pick up for all of our crew, as well as a few loads of laundry to get done at Captain Joe’s Laundromat.  Even with all that packing, we are still running into things that we forgot or that we need.

But something that we are not lacking this season is worker bees.  We are blessed to have Uncle Mike and Aunt Peggy for the summer again.  Doctor Dan is now retired and he and Rita have fully committed to Dempsey Mining for the season.  Dani has returned for a two-week cameo to lend a hand before she and her husband go to his hometown in Croatia for a family visit.  And the big surprise this summer… Dave’s brother Kevin is pulling a camper up here from Eugene, Oregon, to put in six weeks of work at the end of the season!  We were all very excited to hear that we get to see him two years in a row and that the Dempsey boys will get to play in the dirt side by side once again.

This is adding up to be a fun, family-filled year.  Dempsey Mining is being good to us.  Dave, Doctor Dan, and Uncle Mike spent two weeks opening the road, which entailed plowing through four colossal avalanches and smoothing out some of the bumpier parts.  It is still the road from hell but they made it passable enough for us to bump our campers down it on one long, kidney-jarring day. 

We are all comfortably camped and falling back into sync with the Mineral Creek timeline.  We have been fully operating for three days now and seen some promising signs of that elusive Valdez gold.  As usual, I miss my all of my friends and family this summer.  But until my next two-week hiatus at home, here is another smoke signal from your loving, loyal sister, niece, daughter, and friend.  Peace from Mineral Creek, Valdez, Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment